1. Take Triphala every night! The Vata dosha rules travel and can cause
constipation when jet setting around. Taking 1/2 tsp. of triphala with
warm water before bed can help to keep elimination regular.
2. Stay hydrated! Make sure to drink plenty of purified water and herbal
tea to stay hydrated, especially when on an airplane. Traveling can be
super drying and dehydrating to the body.
3. Keep snacks on your person! It is easy to want to grab quick food while
on-the-go. Most of these foods are pre-packaged and contain lots of
preservatives. Real food wasn't meant to last 3-6 months on the self!
Fruits and nuts are wonderful options. And drink CCF tea in between meals
to help with digestion.
4. Oil yourself to calm Vata. Remove your shoes, massage your feet with
sesame oil (or some other favorite), and cover with cotton socks. Reapply
oil as needed and leave on for the duration of the flight. Use your nasya
oil for dry nose.
5. Walk whenever you can. Walk the airport, walk the aisle of the plane.
Bust out some yoga moves when on layovers in the airport.
6. Get plenty of sleep. It is easy to stay awake on airplanes, but once
you land you will be happy for the rest you got! Take melatonin and use
essential oils, ear buds and an eye pillow for comfort. Consider bringing
Epsom salts for a restorative bath when you arrive.
7. Use organic rose water spray to refresh hot skin on a summer day. Make
sure to wear a natural SPF in the sun and to be aware of sun rays during
Pitta hours (10am-2pm) when the sun is at its strongest.
8. Flying can cause sinus pressure to build. But you can practice some
simple moves to keep the pressure off: press gently under the eyes from
inside to outside, massage the base of the ears in slow circular motions,
and use revolving pressure on the temples with fingertips.